DIRECTOR OF SOCIAL SERVICES
FAIR SHARE SUPPORT SERVICES
DIRECTOR OF SOCIAL SERVICES
Position: Director of Social Services (immediate opening)
Employer: Fair Share Support Services, Inc.
Credentials: Master of Social Work, Master of Public Health or comparable degree in the human services field. Licensed Clinical Social Worker (preferred).
Experience: Three years minimum experience, including: (1) providing services to elderly and disabled people; (2) case management; (3) delivery of professional social work services, preferably in a fee-for-service environment; and (4) supervision of other staff.
Experience managing projects and social work departments strongly preferred. Experience within the non-profit sector a plus. Knowledge of software used to develop wellness plans and track progress is helpful.
Other skills: Spanish/English bi-lingual proficiency strongly preferred.
Salary: $50,000-$60,000 (commensurate with experience) with competitive benefits package, including 20 days of PTO time, life insurance, dental insurance and an extremely generous health insurance package that includes free coverage for employee.
Reports to: Director of Property Management, Fair Share Housing Development
This job offers many professional growth opportunities in an exciting environment. The position is based in Camden, NJ and operates out of the social service offices at Northgate II, the largest of six affordable housing developments managed by Fair Share Housing Development (FSHD), a nationally recognized nonprofit organization that aims to reduce racial and economic segregation by providing affordable housing with supportive social and educational services in communities of opportunity throughout South Jersey.
Northgate II includes a 308-unit high-rise for elderly and disabled people (approximately 50% each), and a 94-unit garden apartment complex for low-income families. The social service staff provide service delivery to the 700-plus people living in Northgate II.
Fair Share Support Services, which runs the social service program at Northgate II, is part of the Camden Coalition of Healthcare Providers (CCHP), and is at the forefront of an innovative effort to reduce health care system costs by improving the health and well-being of low-income seniors, families and people with disabilities throughout Camden. More information about FSHD and our wellness program can be found at www.fairsharedevelopment.org/wellness
The Director of Social Services will be responsible for the following:
- Recruit, evaluate and terminate all Northgate II social services program staff (which currently consists of two social workers, two community health workers, a college graduate Jesuit Volunteer and an administrative assistant); also supervise social work interns.
- Provide guidance and support to social services staff and interns as they develop comprehensive wellness plans and assessments for Northgate II seniors and disabled tenants; engage residents, staff, and other service providers in the implementation of all wellness activities.
- Work with the Director of Advocacy for Senior Services and FSHD staff to develop and coordinate new support services that meet the needs of residents; work with social services team to ensure/increase participation.
- Supervise the staff in providing day-to-day social services support to residents.
- Handle a caseload of about 20-30 low-risk tenants in addition to supervisory responsibilities.
- Report relevant tenant issues to security and/or property management staff; ensure staff follows appropriate protocols to ensure safety and well-being of our residents, visitors, program partners and staff.
- Some non-profit management tasks, including occasional reporting to FSSS Board of Trustees, budget compliance, and compiling program updates for grant applications, website and media outreach.
- Ensure a schedule of beneficial, relevant, and culturally appropriate daily activities to enhance the quality of life for residents.
- Monitor the operation of our assisted living, food bank, exercise, and other wellness programs or activities offered by staff as well as outside vendors and nonprofit partners.
- Work with the Director of Advocacy for Senior Services to forge additional partnerships with local service organizations to improve care coordination.
- Oversee initiatives to evaluate patient outcomes and cost savings.
- Participate in selected conferences and seminars.
- Must fully understand, articulate and reflect in professional practice the social justice mission and philosophy of Fair Share Support Services and Fair Share Housing Development.
- Master’s Degree in social work or related field. LCSW credentials are a plus.
- Experience working with marginalized individuals and/or groups in an urban environment is a plus.
We seek an inspiring and engaging leader who can promote a diverse and inclusive work environment that fosters collaboration and cooperation as well as the highest standards of professionalism. Required skills include the following:
- Sensitivity to the needs of low-income elderly and disabled and families.
- Must be able to effectively relate to individuals from diverse cultural backgrounds.
- Strong interpersonal and management skills.
- Ability to establish and maintain positive and collaborative working relationships with residents, staff and community partners and providers.
- Preference will be given to bilingual candidates (Spanish-speaker), though English-speaking candidates will also be considered.
- At least three years of supervisory experience.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Excellent time management and organization skills.
- Ability to prioritize tasks and manage multiple responsibilities.
- Must possess proven conflict-resolution and trouble-shooting skills.
- Ability to be flexible and adapt to changes in work assignments.
- Knowledge and understanding of Camden healthcare system and community resources is a plus.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
To Apply for this Position: Please send a resume and cover letter explaining why think you would be a good fit for this job to Denise Barricklow, Fair Share Housing Development: firstname.lastname@example.org Please include contact info for three references with your application.
We will accept applications until the position is filled. Fair Share Support Services, Inc. and Fair Share Housing Development are equal opportunity employers.